Lets face it, most of us enjoy a good drink from time to time. If you are still concious about being fit and healthy it’s important to know what’s the best way of drinking alcohol whilst avoiding all of those empty calories. We thought we’d provide you some top tips as well as a list of our top 5 healthy alcoholic drinks. Please remember to drink in moderation and take care of your body.
- Use fresh fruit juice as a mixer instead of juices from concentrate.
- If using carbonated drinks, go for soda or tonic. Stay clear of high sugar fizzy pop
- Use Honey instead of syrup. This will give you bonus anti-oxidants .
- If you’re a beer/lager lover, go for lighter rather than darker. There’s less calories to these and the hangover isn’t quite as bad.
- Try and stay clear of alcopops and cider, as tasty as they may be, the ludicrous amounts of sugar in these drinks isn’t worth it.
- Different drinks have different calorie contents, lowest to highest here they are: Spirits, Wine, Cider, Lager, Beer, Stout
Our 5 Favourite Healthy Alcoholic Drinks
Vodka + Soda, we thought we’d kick off with the most boring, of course vodka + soda is one of the lowest calorie drinks. Although soda carries zero calories, it also carries zero nutritional benefits. If you like to be boring we’d highly recommend this one. Alternatively, switch the soda for cranberry juice, it’s packed full of anti-oxidants and adds a bit more flavour.
Mimosa, a Mimosa is champagne mixed with orange juice. The champagne may be a little rich in calories due to it’s sweetness, this said it’s also packed with anti-oxidants which in turn are good for your skin. The orange juice is naturally rich in vitamin C, potassium and calcium. Try Trading the orange juice for grapefruit juice for added fat burn.
Whiskey/Gin, both these spirits can be enjoyed neat, for a few extra calories than vodka, they make up for in added flavour. Serve neat on the rocks for a refreshing burst of flavour.
Sangria, sangria is typically red wine mixed with lemon and lime juice then a combination of other fruit juices, there are a bunch of different recipes for sangria. The key thing about sangria is that you can load it up with lots of healthy fruits. Unfortunately it’s not the lowest calorie alcoholic beverage, but it is very delicious and pack with tonnes of vitamins and minerals.
Bloody Mary, vodka, tomato juice, Tabasco, celery, Worcestershire sauce, horseradish, salt, and pepper. This has got to be the cream of the crop when it comes to healthy eating. A bloody Mary is packed with so many healthy and nutritious ingredients, it’s almost a straight up anti-cancer drink. The spicy kick from the Tabasco will help keep your metabolic rate on a high. Added bonus, you can pretend to be a vampire by saying that you are drinking blood.
We hope you enjoyed reading this post!!!
What are your favourite healthy alcoholic drinks?